Sunday, May 3, 2009

This Post Will Give My Blog Weird Ads

I've just made a huge mistake.

A few minutes ago, Facebook showed me an ad for a video of two rattlesnakes mating. I was confused enough to have to read the description, which said something like, "If you love watching nature shows, you'll love this video of two snakes mating!" Even though this is far from the weirdest thing on the internet, it still brought up some questions that need answering.

Who is in the market for a video of two snakes mating? Which is weirder, a website that is making money by getting people to watch this video, or just some dude who is paying for ads in attempt to spread his love of snake voyeurism?

Then again, it could just be some site that makes money from ads, no matter what the videos are about. Couldn't they think of a single more enticing subject? Even if by some freak chance this was a snake-themed website, how about snakes fighting? Or a snake eating something way too big for snakes to be able to eat? I once saw a picture of a snake attempting to eat a deer, and that sucker wasn't going to stop unless it succeeded or ripped itself in half. Didn't someone get that on tape? I'm not even going to consider that this might be an animal mating-themed website.

Having this video doesn't necessarily make an online community filled with creeps, but using it as a main form of gaining members will make it sprint in that direction. I'm imagining 10% animal biologists, 10% giggling stoners, and 80% future sex offenders. Either no one in the advertising meetings considered this problem would come up, or perverse snake owners are a prized marketing demographic.

The huge mistake occurred when I looked at the ad, and went to a different page without clicking on it. I will now always wonder what these people were thinking, and I would prefer to not have to think about snakes mating or people who should be committed.

1 comment:

  1. Just google "Animal Mating Video"

    Click on "Images"

    Click on "safesearch options"

    Click on "Do not filter my search results"

    ????

    Profit.

    ReplyDelete